Resilience, according to the UN, is the “capacity of a system, community or society exposed to a threat to resist, absorb, adapt and recover of its effects in a timely and efficient way, which includes the perseverance and restoration of its structures and basic functions”.
In AXA Mexico Foundation we understand and apply this idea when we work on prevention and foment the participation of the members of the communities to create resilient communities. In collaboration with the government and civil organizations, like the Red Cross or Topos -and through special trainings-, we teach the communities how to act in the face of an emergency.
- Reconstruction of classrooms and markets
- Design of new houses, with resilient structures and materials
- AXA microinsurance that covers fires, earthquakes and flooding for all reconstructed houses
- Training for community leaders on emergencies
- Alarm installation in public schools